Sunday, July 21, 2024

An 80 Year Old's Journey Toward Ironman Waco 70.3 Oct 6th - Days, 20, 21

 Three weeks and I haven't quit yet.  So much has come against me.  Most of it is other people and outside work responsibilities.  Plus, the heat and humidity melt what resolve I have.  I am tired.  That's it.  It's here.  

It's not like I shouldn't expect this.  Ironman training is not a day at the theme park.  Now I remember how brutal and debilitating this can be.   and I can look back and think "how did I get through all this before?  I am somewhat amazed at my former self. 

Maybe that's it? Maybe I want that picture back I had of myself before. Perhaps, I want amaze myself?  Perhaps I looking for a good reason to admire myself?  There is satisfaction in mowing the grass and getting things done outside but its not self-amazing.   I am old, they say.  Perhaps I am not satisfied with a life of passionless sameness, and low expectations that being this age is supposed to bring with it.  Maybe I am not really that old yet?  Perhaps I still need to make memories of   overcoming days that bring smiles of pleasant reflection, to know that who I was, I still am.  Thank you God


No comments:

Post a Comment