Monday, January 23, 2012

Embrace the Risk

The nursing home can be a depressing place. The blank, mindless stares of some of the residents, the pill line of wheelchairs, the somber tones of the last days of life, provides stark contrast to what is going on in my heart and head. I see a different world.

And the thought came to me: whatever risk one takes, however depleted one may get out training, however difficult an event may be, however it pours you out; all the fatigue and failure of a lifetime of endurance sports is better than one day in a nursing home.

Most residents don't wish for more stuff, more money, more prestige. They want capability again. "If I could just .......again." What word would we put between the "just" and "again" in that sentence?

As the saying goes, "the first wealth is health." I have health. I have capability. I have today. The only thing that can keep me from embracing the risk of losing or the possiblity of success is my own limited vision. Perhaps I can go deeper, higher,farther than I can yet see?
Perhaps, I can  today be found worthy of the capability God has granted me. Perhaps I can embrace the risk and "just" ....... "again" and "again" and "again."

Yeah, the sun is out. Just got back from a five mile run. And, its a great time to go for good bike ride; embrace the day, embrace the risk while the rush of life courses within me.

1 comment: