Friday, March 12, 2010

300 yd swim - 13.8 mile bike - 5k run

It had been 16 days since the doctor released me following rotator cuff surgery. Athens is an event I have done four times previous. Just wanting to get back in it. Maybe I can see more or less where I was at. I prayed. A thought came to me that drafting on the bike is illegal but for me to get through this respectably I will have to be drafting on God.

I was careful on the swim with my shoulder and surprisingly my time was about what it has been before at Athens.
The bike was typical for me; start slow and build. As I built into the bike, I passed rider after rider. My strength on the bike was surprising.

My total running mileage for the year was only a little over twenty miles and I really didn't know what was in my legs after that bike leg. But I ran surprisingly well and never stopped. My overall time was not great but not all that bad either. I had finished respectably. Thankful beyond words, I almost teared up. At a large oak tree I thanked God for blessing me that day.

I went to the awards ceremony though I really had no expectations of winning a trophy. There were five of us in the 65-69 age group. When the third place was called and my name wasn't, I knew that I was out of the picture. The best I could have done would have been third...and they were really nice trophies too....number two was called and I clapped for him. Then, a time was called and the words rang out, "And first place goes to Marvin Dittfurth." I almost teared up again. After 31 triathlons I have never won first in my age group. I walked sort of dazed through the crowd, shook hands, and picked up my trophy. Coming back from surgery, wondering how able I was, yet claiming a prize I would have thought impossible that day. Maybe I was humble enough in this endeavor to be exalted?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, a big congrats on your AG win, that's awesome! What a wonderful moment, and with the humbleness in your heart you were able to let it gracefully fall on your shoulders. After all of the patience of injury and recovery, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete