Tuesday, May 21, 2024

You Are Not Treading Water in Life Anymore

 It's the discipline that I miss.  It's the purposeful pursuit of excellence with myself I so miss.   Without the discipline, life is a bit rudderless.  Oh, there are things to do, causes to follow, goals to achieve, but none exerts the personal discipline I have found in training for endurance sports. 

It demands a certain truth, from ourselves about ourselves.    I either did the workout or I didn't.  I am either on schedule or not. I am all I can be or I am letting myself off the hook.  And that is glaringly apparent.  There is no hiding out. You can't fake yourself into shape enough to do an ironman.  The training demands to be done, no excuses.

The very nature of training is one of personal responsibility and certainly,  this world needs a big dose of that.  Training makes you different.  You are not going along in life marking time from Monday to hump day, to "thank God it's Friday."  Those days mean something on this journey. You are not treading water in life anymore.  The discipline, yeah, I miss it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment