Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Living Strong



This Livestrong ( http://www.livestrong.org/ ) bracelet has been worn almost a year now. Cancer claimed my brother-in-law John almost a year ago now. I have worn it in his honor; in his memory.


In November of 2010 I did a half-ironman distance event in his honor; wore his picture on my back, but he died in March. http://milesofthejourney.blogspot.com/2011/03/wading-ashoregoing-home.html John is not the first person I have raced for, prayed for, that has been lost. Over the last few years, I have worn many yellow bracelets for many of those with cancer. When on the bike as I am looking down at my arms and hands, I see the yellow bracelet or bracelets, and pray for the ones that the bracelets are being worn for. Despite the hundreds of prayers, cancer has still claimed many that I have prayed for.


But some have survived to live strong. Some prayers were answered "yes." And with this hope for those in peril, I will still go on wearing my yellow bracelets, still go on praying for the people and against their cancers, still go on training with the "yes" for life I have been given to live strong. In many ways, the bracelets are for me as well.



2 comments:

  1. What an awesome man of God you are Marv. Yes we have lost a great many to this dreadful sickness. But with the prayers that you and a great many others send up to the heavens Men and Women are being healed, just like my Kathy. Who has been Ovarian and Breast Cancer free for 3 years now. So Marv you keep wearing those yellow bands and racing strong. We will lift you up in prayer as well and continue fighting the good fight. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love wearing my bracelet. Reminds me of my loved ones who have passed on and to live each day as strongly as possible. My students always ask me about it too.

    ReplyDelete