Saturday, February 18, 2012

Let the Miracle Happen

The river didn't care at all. Even though we spent good money to buy the best lumber, even though we labored hard digging deep holes to put the large beams in; even though, it wasn't enough. All our planning, our labor, all our confidence in our own strength and engineering would get swept away like matchsticks in a big flood. The river didn't care and though I felt frustrated by all this, there was still a sort of subversive gladness that there were some things that could not be tamed completely.
Thoreau said something to the effect that, "-we need to see our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander."

I like to plan things, to plan for the unexpected. Some activities yield themselves to that to some extent. Triathlon isn't tamed so easily. Oh sure, I can try to cover all the bases, but each training program and each event is unique and comes with its own unexpected challenges. That is one of the things I like about this sport; that part of the process when we get "our own limits transgressed." It forces me to accept that some things I can't control, to humbly assume a certain amount of personal and physical risks. And because I get flushed out of my hiding place, I grow from it. I learn more about how fearful and weak I can be, that, there are some things I cannot change. I learn that in spite of all that, I can smile, still have courage leaning heavily on my faith and letting miracles occur.

You have to take risks. We will only understand the miracle of life fully when we allow the unexpected to happen.” Paulo Coelho

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, Marvin.
    Some very nivce lines in here!
    I hope you are enjoying yourself.

    ReplyDelete