Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Exhilarating Excess

Taken too far: legs have no snap and feel they have the strength and consistency of Jello. Fatigue slumps my shoulders, shuffles my walk, postpones my runs. Yeah, did it again: too much.

The "hair on fire" gleam in my eye eventually leads to some degree of overtraining. This week I try to get my stuff back. Invariably, when I tell folks this, they say something like, "you're not getting any younger, you know. You need to practice moderation." Right ! Whatever ! You don't have to practice moderation. To me, it is sort of a fearful gravity pulling one toward burying life to keep from losing it.

But the truth is: I had a great run of it, getting tore down; had a great time. Will I do it again? Just as soon a I get over the last time. "The going up was worth the coming down."

"Excess, upon occasion, can be exhilarating, because it prevents moderation from acquiring the deadening effect of a habit."

Somerset Maugham

1 comment:

  1. To build yourself up. you must first tear it down. Next time you will come back stronger. Never stop turning door knobs Marv.

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete