Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Ironman Texas 2022 Training - Week # 9 - Age 78 - Another Attempt to Ice Skate

 Traction is hard to maintain with training as the holidays come upon us. Another holiday in the middle of all this - if you want to call it a holiday - is my birthday.  I will be 78.  As I train, I try not to think about being 78.  It scares me.  78 is too old to be training for and attempting an event of this length and difficulty.  The head-in-the-sand approach has been used with some success in avoiding  scaring myself off this ironman thing entirely. Ignore it and maybe it will go away.  , It's all I got.

There have been times I sucked it  up and  really faced this age thing. and look at it for what it really is.  It is always the same;  it is crazy to do this at this age.  Then, I just want to slack back and do sprints and such and age gracefully. 

However, I have never been all that graceful in much of anything I have ever done.  No reason to think I could age gracefully.  I tried to ice skate once and fell so often and cut myself up with the blades in doing so, that I bled all over the ice.  The owner/manager asked me to please leave.  

Is trying to grow old gracefully another  attempt to ice skate? 



Ok, enough of reality.  I don't want to talk about it any more.  Like a line from a song from somewhere, "when it's scary, don't look down."  The only time I should look down in going for this ironman insanity, is when I go to put my head back in the sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment