Tuesday, November 30, 2010

"When My Trophy At Last I Lay Down"


First place in my age group-sounds really awesome, but not in the face of the truth. Truth: I was the only one in my age group. In fact, I was the oldest finisher in the half ironman distance event. So why do I post my photo holding my trophy on this blog? Because it means a lot to me. It means I have been blessed above measure to be able to do this stuff. It means my prayers were answered that I would finish my 1st half ironman distance event standing up. It means it is the first time I have taken myself that far and that long. But it also means that my effort that day pales in comparison to the course my brother-in-law, John Lee, has to run in his battle with brain and lung cancer.


I did this race for him-in his honor-to give hope, to show love, and share inspiration. My wife is making a quilt for him containing the patches with his photo on them that I wore during the event. Thanks to the race director, http://www.out-loud.org/ironstar_triathlon.htm John is getting a race shirt. And, John will get my trophy as sort of a symbol of my hope, that he be first place in his race against cancer. But it was nice to have the trophy if only for a little while, even if I didn't beat anyone in my age group except my lesser self.

No comments:

Post a Comment