Monday, October 25, 2010

Leave a Path

There is an old road here by my place that is still being used. It is unknown who opened it, or why, but the path has remained.

Last Saturday I was doing a half marathon and I saw my wife, son, and two very young grand daughters cheering for me on the corner. I danced a little to the music that was playing nearby, and they danced to it too. As I passed their corner and strode up the big hill, my youngest grand daughter said, "I want to run with Pop-Pop." *(that's what they call me for some reason)

It made me smile. They have seen me do a triathlon and  have seen me  leave out  on several bike events.  Now they have seen me run.  I like to think that I am  introducing them early to this splendid lifestyle. I like to think that  their lives will be enriched by the early influences of this old geezer; not just in what I say but in plodding to do my best. I hope they notice that and take it deep.  Perhaps, I will leave a path.

Update:  Seven years later now, my granddaughter is riding mountain bikes.  We talked about her riding and training.  She said, "I want to be like you."  I am so blessed.

What remains is not about what you picked, but what you planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment