Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Breaking Habit

I try so hard to cut back eating at night. In the summer it is especially difficult as it is still daylight at 8:30-9:00 PM. Activity continues later and so the temptation to eat later.

I am one who just likes to decide and do - but getting on top of this late eating thing doesn't lend itself to that process and it doesn't give up easily. Perhaps, I should overcome the habit the way it probably overcame me: a little at a time. Win some-lose, keep the pressure on until there is far more winning than losing. Sounds like training, doesn't it?

Mark Twain writes: "Old habits can't be thrown out the upstairs window. They have to be coaxed down the stairs one step at a time."

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marv! I stumbled onto your blog while looking for information regarding breaking habits. Pesky things aren't they? Argh! Baby steps is definitely a good idea. While studying this topic I came across a free e-book on Richard Fast's website called "29 DAYS... to a habit you want!" It's great reads on the basics of how habits are developed, and a good map for lasting change. I've been recommending it all over the place. Maybe it would help? Anyway, hope all is well and thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete