Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Beautifully and Wonderfully Made - Run Proud

Today on my run it was hot and humid; the prelude to a rain. Tough conditions seem to induce a defensive, survival stride from me. Today was no exception. I found myself looking down the road only a few yards ahead. My shoulders were hunched somewhat, and I was doing more of a stagger than a run. My forward lean had me not picking my feet up much, and my shoes were scuffing loudly on the hot pavement as evidence. This is how you wear shoes out quickly. I was running scared in a way.

Then I remembered reading that we are to run "proud." Square the shoulders, stand up straighter, look farther ahead, see the bigger picture; embrace a bolder promise. Scripture says we are "beautifully and wonderfully made." Come on! Believe it! Run proud! I did. My pace picked up as I now seemed to be running over the road and not on it; running proud. The run took on new life and became more than just a task to complete but a blessing to experience.

Back at the truck, I was smiling broadly, drenched in sweat,and immensely thankful. Thankful that we are not called to plod mindlessly forward, staring at our feet. We are called to dream big dreams, looking up, pushing hard in the "direction of those dreams. We are not to do our training run of life without purpose, hope, joy or vision. That would be a waste of what God has given us and what He has called us to. We are "beautifully and wonderfully made." Look up.

God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well. ~ Voltaire

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this reminder. I really needed it. RUN PROUD!!! Wahooo!!

    ReplyDelete