Sunday, September 15, 2024

Next Time

 

The number marked on the back of his calf told me he was in my age group.   I had passed this man just moments before.   Now he had passed me back,  running  like a man on a mission toward the finish line.  We were finishing up the Woolman Triathlon in San Angelo, Texas and just coming off the 10K run on that infamous “dirt road from hell.”  It had been a bear and I was pretty well done in.  Hoping he would just crater and have to walk, I just let him go on for about a hundred yards.  But, soon I realized he wasn’t going to fade.   Digging down deep, all I could muster,  seemed  barely to  quicken my pace.  My body was just spent. Yet, I pushed it for all it was worth and I could tell I was slowly gaining.  I was gaining!  But, the man would not quit.  I could tell my paltry effort was  going to be too little, too late.  He was going to beat me!

 

I can’t catch this guy !!  The legs won’t turn over any faster!  This really hurts and I am not gaining that much on him anymore!  Oh my, he’s close.  He just crossed the line!  Wish I could have caught him!  He might be the one who keeps me from placing in my age group.

I should have pushed a little harder.  Maybe if I had trained a little harder; raced a little smarter. done the transition quicker.  Maybe if.....

 

This guy had beaten me by a matter of a  few seconds.  Both of us completely spent, we walked around the finish line area together trying to get our breath back. He had had a good race and my hand thrust out to him in congratulations.

 

“I was trying real hard to catch you right there.”

“I know.  I could feel you coming.”

“I just didn’t have enough left and you did.”

“Next time.” 

 

We shook hands, smiled at each other, and walked away.  Yeah, next time, I thought.  Just you wait until next time.  Next time I will be better prepared; next time I will be in better shape and next time, will be my time. Truth is, I have never seen this man again. But, the vision of  “next time” still drives my training days.  I just know there  will be  plenty of others out there on the courses  to provide   inspiration, motivation, and validation for my “next time.”  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment