Sunday, August 22, 2021

A COVID Compatible Dream - Phase II -IRONMAN TEXAS 2022

 OK, I am over the disappointment.  Today, my hope is rising from the ashes and though it is still dark I see glimmers of early dawn  along the blackened horizon.  

"A man is not defeated until he is defeated in spirit."  

And, God gave me a spirit akin to His.  I will not be defeated, no, not just yet.  I am going to go on and not huddle in fearful anticipation of some dread disease.  Huddling and fearing are dread diseases of their own already, and seem fatal to having a life well-lived.   

I am a really old guy and will be really, really old by the time this might happen, but I am going to train for Ironman Texas for next April.  I am going to "run the race that is set before me. In fact, I am 
 already signed up.  Yes, odds are I won't even make the training. Yes, odds are if somehow complete the training and  get to the event I won't be able to finish it.  Yes, odds are if by some miracle I do finish it, it won't be within the time cut offs.  

But, there is still that one far off dream,  not easily seen, and only distantly hoped for:  to finish Ironman Texas within the time limit.  That would be over the moon, other-worldly stuff for this then 78 year old.  And if I fail, I would have "failed daring greatly." Daring greatly in spite of the odds is one of the cornerstones of all breakthroughs. That is success in itself and that is my COVID compatible dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment