Thursday, August 1, 2019

My Blessing: The Opportunity to Hope


Thursday, August 1, 2019




It is hard to believe I have been at this ironman business for so long and harder still to believe that I would be going at it again.  It is sort of like the remake of an old movie over and over yet each time, something is a bit different.  Each time it seems, I have found a new way to fail.    This time the same enthusiasm is there along with the same fear, yet this time,  the fear is more subdued.  This time there is a quiet confidence cooking here that I haven't had before. Perhaps it is due to a close feeling with God, that seems to pervade my spirit more than ever.   Not that I haven’t felt close to Him in the past, but through my failures, I suppose,  our relationship has grown and is growing richer still than I could have imagined it could be.   I am in a good place all the way around.

Today I am working on my training plan which should start in about 4 days. In a way it like packing to go on a trip;  an adventure in faith.  For those who don’t know this is an event consisting of a 2.4-mile swim, followed by a 112-mile bike, followed by a full marathon (26.2 miles) within 17 hours.   To prepare for this the training is going to be really hard.  The event will be really hard, but I know how great the reward and I feel ready to pay the price whether I succeed or fail.

There will be some giving up involved:  giving up leisure coffee most mornings with my wife; giving up staying up to watch a movie or reading; giving up a lot of fun, outside work here on my place, and so many other little things that will have to be set aside until.  But I think I am ready for a bit of self-denial.  I think I need the plan and the discipline enforced by the faith in my calling.  I will hope and pray to give a good accounting of myself before God.

God has given me this opportunity to hope if only for today.  I am thankful for that and my prayer is that I will be allowed to finish this and see the tears flow down my wife's face, feel her hug, and hear in my heart words from God:  "well done my good and faithful servant." 



No comments:

Post a Comment