Thursday, December 16, 2010

Photo Inspiration


That morning it was all about that first step. The half ironman distance was waiting for me, and I am not ashamed to admit, I was a little scared when I looked out at that cold sunrise on the lake, on the swim course. We were staying on the seventeenth floor of the hotel on the lakeside and I could see all I wanted to be afraid of from my balcony.

Of all the race photos for this entire year of events, this photo is my favorite (and I am not even in it). The dawn was absolutely beautiful but I knew that water was cold, the course was the longest I had ever attempted, and in moments I would be down there in it. To me, the picture says "I faced my fears and began."

So, in these days of lesser training, no event scheduled, and no training plan, I have this picture on my desktop. It serves as photo inspiration that on that morning I overcame and the "overcomer" still lives inside waiting, for me to go down the elevator, get in the cold water and let the Miles of the Journey begin again.

1 comment:

  1. Marv that is one awesome photo. I totally understand the fear thing. And like most of us you concured your fear and did something that most people your age will never do. My Father is 78 and my Step mom is 64 they are both Ironman Kona Finishers. May God bless you with continued strength and good health. Keep on inspiring and training. I will be following you as you travel through the Miles of the Journey.
    Steven

    ReplyDelete