Friday, August 25, 2023

Pray for Courage or My Song Will be Left Unsung?

 The day before Labor Day , will mark one year since my bad bike wreck.  During that year I have only been on a road bike once for about a mile.  Seems I left something back there on that road:  my courage.  The thought of riding on the road again makes me quite anxious.  it was a long and painful journey to recovery. 

Yeah sure, I know the rah-rah and all the dialogue regarding this issue like, "All we have to fear is fear itself."  The Bible is full of "fear nots" that I skim on by.  Maybe now I have a better understanding of the fears other people, but it doesn't resolve my own.

Some braver day I will have to do what John Blaise said to do on that Ironman video:  "Face your fears and live your dreams."  As I approach 80 years of age, most of my athletic dreams involve a road bike to some extent.  Sure, I know, the memory of all the pain must be dealt with or part of life will go unlived.  I don't have the time left to be weak of heart, to leave my song left unsung.  

Perhaps my first real road ride could be planned for the day before    Labor Day, the one-year anniversary of that bad wreck. Maybe that day can be as much a beginning as it was an ending.  I'll pray about that.  I'll pray for courage.


No comments:

Post a Comment