Sunday, September 10, 2017

How Do You Respond?

Went to a sprint triathlon today (Rose City Triathlon in Tyler, Texas)- my 51st triathlon - and it was quite revealing. Not revealing in the limitless possibilities out there, but in revealing a lot of truths about myself. Today was a sprint triathlon for enhanced self-awareness.

For one, in looking at race photos, I became aware that I don't look as good as I thought I did. In fact, I could be labeled fat without departing too far from the truth. In addition, I  am not as thorough and into preparedness as I had perceived myself to be. My bike computer didn't work - I should have know that. My front skewer was loose on my bike and the headset was loose - where have I been? My T-2 transition wasn't all that long but terribly sloppy and disorganized. And my run, in a word: stinks; absolutely the worst 5k I have ever ran in my life - and I thought I was holding it together pretty good; reality says "no way." I  thought all my run training was on target and doing some good: how wrong was that? There was an overweight guy, walking with a bad limp up ahead of me and I couldn't catch him.  There he  was up ahead,  walking, limping, overweight, and he was pulling away from me while I was  allegedly running. My heart sank.

Time for some reality therapy here. Oh sure, people are all amazed that I can do all this stuff at my age, but God isn't amazed. He gave me this window of opportunity and it seems I have not lived up to His or my own expectations. So, tomorrow, when I might be thinking more clearly, I will indulge in some serious reality therapy about my endurance sports life. Today has been most humbling and perhaps now I am ready for God to use me in whatever reality I am given.

 
 
So, I wrote down all the reasons I shouldn't even think about doing Ironman Texas on April 28, 2018.  Below are the reasons:  reality to either   accept and give this crazy stuff up, or accept, put my face into the wind, and "Face the Giants." 
 

THIRTEEN REASONS NOT TO DO THE IRONMMAN
1.     The “Bad Leg”
2.     My awful run speed
3.     Wife’s physical problems
4.     Financial expense
5.     Lack of motivation
6.     Lack of a consistent place to swim
7.     Asthma
8.     Present level of deep fatigue
9.     Present overweight problem
10.   Time away from family
11.   Time away from work to be done here on the place
12.   Time and mind to write
13.   Urinary tract problems.

Now put  all those good reasons up against the one overarching reason to keep trying;  in spite; to keep on trying though I might look like a fool yet again attempting this at this age (74).  How does all this  stack up?  I knew the answer before I asked. 
 
 
 
How do you respond when you sense the Lord is calling you to a task that seems beyond your abilities? Do you list all the reasons you can't possibly do it? God already knows everything about you and the situation. He's not asking your permission to proceed; rather, He is calling you to move forward with faith and obedience. He didn't make an error in choosing you for the task, but you will make a huge mistake if you refuse to do it.
 
God will equip you for whatever He calls you to do. Because the Holy Spirit dwells within every believer, we have all we need to fulfill the Lord's mission. Instead of letting inadequacy hinder you from obeying, let it drive you to your knees so you can arise with renewed insight and power.
Charles Stanley

God doesn't require us to succeed; he only requires that you try. -Mother Teresa
 

No comments:

Post a Comment