Thursday, October 27, 2011

Living Up to the Big Shadow

Dawn shining from the east cast my shadow completely across the road and a good distance into the field on the other side of the road. Wow! How big I can look in the right light. I am huge, a giant!

Perhaps I was looking at my shadow when I signed up for this ironman event. Perhaps, in the light of that sign-up day, I believed the shadow rather than the reality. The reality? I could just be in way over my head.

Now the shadows have shortened and actual size doesn't feel so bold in this light. Truth about oneself and ones capabilies must be addressed. And so I shall. Now we play hardball. The large shadows are gone, but there yet remains a faith that what God brought me to, He will see me through. And if I fail, I will have had the joy and the challenge and thank God for the experience. And oh, if I succeed, I will thank God for the blessing of living up to the shadow He has cast of me.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said, I love this time of year in the long autumn light with those long gigantic shadows, but never looked at them that way before. Undertaking the Iron journey is to spend a year looking at our own fears about who we are and how we define ourselves, it's such a humbling thing (or can be). And in the end as you say, if we fail it's an opportunity to learn and if we succeed we will rejoice as well.

    ReplyDelete