Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Fasting Day 1- Let It Go

Beginning the second day of the juice fast. Fasting certainly changes perspective. Yesterday I noticed all the reflexive eating habits I had; eating out of habit rather than need. The headache which was probably from the coffee withdrawal was a real nuisance, especially while running the chainsaw. Now that is gone and I didn’t miss my coffee this morning as much as I thought I would. A fast is a personal shakedown. It makes me realize how weak and dependent I can be: a good thing to remember before I think about ridiculing those same traits in others.


Yesterday I spent a lot of time by myself, working outside; prayed a lot, listened a lot, and at the end of the day found a small degree of peace with my ironman withdrawal. God seemed to show me that, I still limp a little while walking. My hip still hurts just walking. The very slow trail running I do is ponderous and painful at times. At its best my run is not fast enough to beat the cut-off time, nor could I have even walked fast enough to finish the ironman before the cut-off time. Let it go, Marv. Let it go, God seems to say.

4 comments:

  1. Marv, although I am not fasting, I seem to be facing the same (but different) things. God has been working on me all year about racing and such. I fight him and tell him I know better. And then he let's me learn the hard way. I am coming to grips with the fact that God has a bigger plan for me, other than an Ironman. In fact he seems to be telling me that my goals need to focus on my wife Kathy, my desire to help others and to learn how to serve him like I should. Yes I am still working out but now the focus is just being healthy and strong. My finish line will be when I cross over to Heaven and that is what my goal is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prayed about all this and the answer seemed to be "trust me." Perhaps, it is our faith that is getting the training?

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you made the wisest decision for you Marv...I'm sure the time it frees up will be well spent! Fasting sounds pretty tough...good job getting through day 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. The fast was illuminating. Every time I do this it is an exercise in self awareness. That can't be bad. Right now, I seem to be more focused on doing this thing...the ironman.

      Delete