Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Facing the Start

Hopes and fears abounded as we have faced the start


In all these starts, I look around and think how detached and confident everyone looks, while I go over all the plans and worries I have about the water, the ride, the run. They all look like they have it all down.


But most of the time when I talk to these fine people, I find they are just as concerned, just as worried as I, perhaps in many cases more. One young man I once struck up a conversation with revealed it was his first triathlon, and he wasn't that good of a swimmer. He was a little scared. Another I talked to was concerned about swimming in the waves. Another was fearful that he would panic when the water vegetation got on him. Another was afraid that the two hundred pound aligator gar someone had seen, would cause him some problems. Yeah, we are all quite human, facing our own demons, as we look out upon the water we are soon to enter: overcoming. Overcoming evolving into self-discovery, through mastery of our fears.

What would life be if we had not courage to attempt anything?


Vincent Van Gogh


"When you put yourself on the line in a race and expose yourself to the unknown, you learn things about yourself that are very exciting"



Doris Bown Heritage, 5-time World Cross Country Champion



1 comment:

  1. Hey, that water vegetation is some scary stuff. I always hate it when I see those weedy tendrils reaching for me from the deep! Good reminder though of how what we face and how we overcome it is what makes us human.

    ReplyDelete