Saturday, June 18, 2016

Yet

It was February 1987; the Woodlands Marathon, my first marathon. It was all new and about as hard as I thought it was going to be - no piece of cake. Of course I wasn't prepared. My wife, my mother, my sister, and my two nephews were there at the finish; a great experience; my baptism into endurance sports.


When I began doing real estate in 1984, my first sale was two city lots to began a church on. It was a tough closing, but somehow it was accomplished. When I got out of real estate, the last thing I closed was property for a church to build upon: bookends to a career. Today, both churches are flourishing and I feel good about them when I drive by and see all the activity.

Today, I received a Father's Day discount for the Woodlands Marathon in March 2017. If I were to do it, it would be thirty years, since I did that same marathon; bookends again. Have I reached the age of one last hurrah and then tone down life to what is appropriate for one my age? It is tempting.

But I like what God told Joshua when Joshua got old. "Now Joshua was old and stricken years; and the Lord said unto him, thou art old and stricken in years, and there remaineth yet very much land to be possessed." Joshua 13:1

I read this to mean: Yeah, I know you are old, and so? There is still much to be possessed. You still have your calling and your quest. That is what I take it to mean for me as well. I am still hanging fire on yet another attempt to do Ironman Texas and it could in the same time period as the Woodlands Marathon. I have my calling and there is YET much land to be possessed - Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment