Friday, February 4, 2011

A Prayer for Stray-Dog Hungry

Missing a few meals in earlier days made me hungry enough to eat, and now enjoy, all kinds of different foods. It wasn't that much fun at the time, and being hungry made me determine, like Scarlet O'Hara, that I wasn't going to poor and hungry again. However, being hungry - passionately hungry - seems to turn life loose to take on a vivid intensity, that merely being ready for dinner does not afford.

I was hungry to complete that half ironman distance event last year, and now my fear is: I won't sustain that gnawing hunger I had before that event. So my prayer won't be to be stronger, faster, more enduring through this training. No - I will pray, "Lord make me stray-dog hungry." The stronger, faster, enduring, will come in the package with the answered prayer for hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment